Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Neighbourhood, Mysteries of a Garden and "The Mind I Love", by Katherine Mansfield

Neighbourhood, Mysteries of a Garden, 24" x 24", oil on canvas

I think a good garden like a good painting, should have a sense of mystery, surprise, a beauty yet not so obvious, interesting juxtapositions, light and fabulous colour.  The photo reference for this was a neighbours garden, I dont know whose.  I felt kind of voyeuristic staring into gardens and yards with my camera. because it's the side gardens, not so much the showy front landscaping that interests me  (hopefully no one noticed!)  I suppose all artists are voyeuristic in some way.

I have always loved this poem and was thinking of it while painting this.



"The mind I love must have wild places, a tangled orchard where dark damsons drop in the heavy grass, an overgrown little wood, the chance of a snake or two, a pool that nobody's fathomed the depth of, and paths threaded with flowers planted by the mind."

— Katherine Mansfield

No comments: